Mushroom Dish for Vegetarians
If possible, mushrooms should not be washed. They should be cleaned with a paper towel. If they need to be washed, do only a brisk rinse. Do not soak them in water. Mushrooms are very delicate, do not overcook them or fry them, or thy will lose their flavor.
1lb chanterelle mushrooms
½ hard roll
½ cup milk
1 Tbsp breadcrumbs
½ stick butter
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
¼ stick butter
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Grease and flour oval casserole dish.
- Soak hard roll in milk, squeeze out milk and crumble roll.
- Cut up mushrooms and simmer with salt and pepper until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Add butter, roll, bread crumbs and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites until peak forms and slowly mix into the mushroom mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- Pour hot water in a larger baking pan, about 1” high. Put in casserole dish.
- Put in oven, steam about 5 minutes on 400°. Lower oven temperature to 350° and steam for 25 minutes.
- Remove from soufflé water bath and turn it into a warmed up serving dish.
- Heat up ¼ stick butter, pour over mushrooms. Generously sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Serve hot. Do not let them cool, they will lose their flavor.