Hungarian Sorrel Dishes
Karolina Tima Szabo
½ lb sóska
3 dinner rolls soaked in milk
3 egg yolks
2 egg whites, beaten
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tsp lard
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 °.
- Clean leaves by folding them in half and pull the stems out. Wash a few times in cold water.
- Heat lard in pot, add leaves and cook until puréed, stirring constantly.
- Squeeze excess milk out of the rolls. Mush rolls and add to the sóska purée.
- Mix two egg yolks with a wooden spoon until smooth. Beat two egg whites. Mix in yolk, salt and pepper, add to purée, mix and fold in egg whites.
- Grease (with butter) and flour mold. Pour in purée mixture.
- Add 2” water in a baking dish. Put mold in water uncovered and steam for one hour.
- Turn out on a serving dish.
- Mix 1 egg yolk smooth and add 2 Tbsp sour cream. Pour over mold before serving.
Sóska with sour cream
1 lb sóska
2-3 Tbsp lard or butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup broth
1 cup sour cream
- Clean and cook sóska as in soufflé until puréed.
- Add salt and sugar.
- Mix flour in broth until smooth. Strain if lumpy. Add to sóska mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add sour cream, bring to a boil.
Serve as a side dish with meat and potato, or as a main* dish with eggs.
*Turn heat on to low. Break 3-4 eggs into purée. Cover and cook slowly without mixing it until eggs are cooked.