The last Franciscan Pastor of St. Emery Church, Fairfield, CT died on August 20th at the Mount Alverna Friary-Shrine of Our Lady, Comforter of the Afflicted in Youngstown, OH. Friar Pintye had been the 6th Pastor of St. Emery’s, where he succeeded Fr. Robert Nemeth, OFM, in 1998. He left the parish in 2011 due to health reasons.
Friar Louis was born in Trenton, NJ, a third generation American-Hungarian, on February 16th,1955. He joined the Franciscan Order and made his Solemn Profession of Vows at his home parish of St. Stephen of Hungary Church in Trenton, in May of 1989. He was ordained to the priesthood in Roebling, NJ, by Most Rev. Attila Miklósházy, SJ, at the time Bishop for Hungarians Abroad, on October 6th, 1990.
First Friar Pintye was assigned to St. László Church in New Brunswick, NJ, as Parochial Vicar, and served in several other parishes before coming to St. Emery. Here he was responsible for the renovation of the church in 2000. Two shrines – that of the Holy Family and of Franciscan saints including St. Erzsébet (Elizabeth of Hungary) and St. John Capistrano (whom Hungarians venerate as their own for his role in the victorious Battle of Nándorfehérvár against the Turks in 1456) – were added by Fr. Louis. The Hungarian saints István (Stephen), Our Lady of Hungary, and St. Imre (Emery) were also updated at the same time, receiving a fresh coat of paint.
All this helped St. Emery Church of Fairfield to make the Connecticut list of Historic Places in August 2013.
Following his retirement from St. Emery parish, Friar Louis lived at the Mount Alverna Friary in Youngstown, OH as a local missionary.
A memorial Mass was offered for him at St. Emery Church on August 26th. He was buried at Youngstown, OH. May he rest in peace!